Drafts are a powerful tool in Campus Suite, allowing you to make updates to a page or other module information while keeping it hidden from public view until you're ready to release it. Once published, the draft will update and replace the "live" information already in place and viewable on your site.
A Workflow is simply the process that a publisher works through to create a draft and submit it to one or more approvers for live publishing on the website. Workflow functions and options will become available only under the departments that are governed by a workflow. For example, a user may have access to create content under two departments. However, if one is governed by a workflow, then while the publisher may be able to create content, they will not be able to push it live without the approval of a designated approver. In this case, the action is... publisher creates a draft, then clicks Submit for Review. The designated approvers will be notified via email saying there is a draft waiting for their review. The approver may accept or reject the draft. They can also send comments back to the original submitter stating desired changes or any other information. This back and forth happens via email, but the comments are also stored with the draft and can be seen in the left-hand column of the page while editing the draft. Once an approver is satisfied with all the changes, they have the option to either schedule the draft to go live or publish it live immediately.
See answers to specific questions below:
- What kind of content can I save as a draft?
You can save any module information as a draft. This includes; static pages, alerts, blog posts, calendar events, photo galleries, news articles, people profiles, frequently asked questions and shared content.
- How do I find a list of my drafts?
To view, click on Drafts in the side navigation and then on My Drafts. There you can find a list of each of your drafts, including the department the draft was created in and the creation date.
- How do I find a list of all of the drafts in my system?
To view, click on Drafts in the side navigation and then on All Drafts. There you will find a list of all drafts in the system. The information that is given includes the department the draft was created in; the creation date or when it was updated; if there is a live version; and what type of content the draft is (page, alert, article, event, entry (Question), post or shared content).
In the figure below, view the "anatomy" of a draft as seen in the drafts panel.
- How do I edit one of my drafts?
Edit one of your drafts (listed in My Drafts, under the main Drafts menu) by clicking on the pencil icon to the right of the draft's name.
- How do I submit a draft for review and approval?
If a department is governed by a Workflow when you go to save an item (i.e. page, blog, etc), instead of Publish Content, you will see the option to Submit for Review. Click on that and on the following window you will be able to enter a Suggested Publish Date, leave a Comment and finally submit it for review. See the screenshot below to see an example.
- What does the vertical color bar to the left of a draft's title mean?
On the left side of the draft's title, you will see a vertical bar. If the vertical bar is green, the draft is live (viewable to the public). If the bar is gold, it is scheduled for publishing. Finally, if it is gray, the draft is still being worked on and is not live yet.
- What is a submitted draft? Where can I find a list of my drafts and their statuses?
A Submitted Draft is a piece of content that you have submitted for approval. This option is only available if a Workflow has been created for the department you are creating the draft in. To find a list of all of your Submitted drafts and their statuses, click on Drafts in the side navigation followed by Submitted.
- What are the different status levels for a draft?
- Module Type - Shows what module type is used
- Draft - Is displayed if a draft of the content exists
- Live - The content is now live. Depending on the module type, additional steps may be needed before a site visitor can view the content (for example, adding pages to the navigation).
- Approved - Content publishes immediately or on a scheduled date and time. Depending on the module type, additional steps may be needed before a site visitor to the site can view the content (for example, adding pages to the navigation). No more changes can be made to the draft that has been submitted for review and approved. A new draft will need to be created and submitted with any additional changes.
- In Review - Content is still under review
- Rejected - Content will not be published. Please note: By rejecting a submission, you are saying that the submitted item will not be made viewable to your site's visitors.
- Scheduled - The draft will be made live on a scheduled date and time. This will only be shown on the Scheduled Publications menu in Drafts. Please note: Depending on the module type, additional steps may be needed before a site visitor to the site can view the content (for example, adding pages to the navigation).
- Canceled - Content has been canceled.
- How can I review one of my submitted drafts?
You can review one of your submitted drafts on the My Submissions panel under Drafts by clicking on the eye icon to the right of the item you would like to preview.
- How can I update the status of a submitted draft?
Update the status of a submitted draft by clicking on Update Status.
- How can I leave a comment on a submitted draft?
Leave a comment on a submitted draft by clicking on the eye icon to the right of those items in My Submissions or Review Queue panels, then Comment. Fill out the available comment field and then click on Comment.
- How can I edit a submitted draft?
Edit a submitted draft by clicking on the pencil icon to the right of the draft's title in the My Drafts or by going to where the draft exists on the site and editing there.
- What happens when a submitted draft is rejected?
When a submitted draft is rejected, the submission is closed out and a new draft will need to be created. Please see the appropriate module article for more information on how to create a new draft of a rejected (closed) draft.
- Where can I find a list of scheduled publications?
You can find a list of all scheduled publications by clicking on Scheduled Publications under Drafts.
- How can I cancel or change the date of a scheduled publication?
To cancel or change the date of an approved scheduled draft, go to Scheduled Publications under Drafts and click on the "not" icon to the right of the item you would like to change or cancel. Please note: You will need to resubmit the draft through the workflow process if you change the publishing date.
- How can I cancel or change the date of a scheduled publication?